Monday, March 31, 2008

Cold Tangerines


It isn't very often that I find a book that I would recommend to all my friends. In her book Cold Tangerines Shauna Niequist revisits chapters of her life, some humorous, some silly, some reflective, while others somber. Each moment is delicately interwoven with a touch of God. Seeing God in the every day and being able to learn from and/or laugh at what is set before us is truly a gift.

Shauna is able to open up and allow the readers to peek at so many aspects of her life. The chapters read almost like letters from a dear friend, as her struggles become teachable moments, and her humor has you laughing out loud. By the end you feel like you've known her from childhood.

One section of the book that brought goosebumps was on pg. 50 "True friendship is a sacred, important thing, and when it happens when we drop down into that deeper level of who we are, when we cross over into the broken, fragile parts of ourself. We have to give something up in order to get friendships like that. We have to give up our need to be perceived as perfect. We have to give up our ability to control what people think of us. We have to overcome the fear that when they see the depths of who we are, they'll leave. But what we give up is nothing in comparison to what this kind of friendship gives to us. Friendship is about risk. Love is about risk. If we can control it and manage it and manufacture it, then it's something else, but it's really love, really friendship, it's a little scary around the edges."

To have someone in your life to love you and care for you even though they know who you are is such a blessing. Reading that portion of the book caused me to pause and to think about people that have been blessings to me, who have loved me through difficult times.

I bought copies of this book for the girls in my Bible study. After they have read it I asked what part they enjoyed the most, and the best part about getting their answers is I never get the same response. The book has so many different aspects that each reader has had the ability to learn and be challenged by a different part.

The Lord knows that I am not perfect, but I do know that it's what I do with what He has given me that matters. Life is not one moment, life is a collection of moments. Those moments put together form your path, your journey. If you are looking for a book that will remind you that God is in the everyday journey, this book is for you.

1 comment:

Short Stop said...

Jamie,

Thank you for reviewing the book, and thanks for your thoughts. I love the quote you shared! "Perceived as perfect"...we spend a lot of time on that, don't we?